WAT-GD-PI

How to prepare for WAT-GD-PI – I

Now that the CAT scorecard is out, the time to start preparing for WAT-GD-PI has come. But how does one go about it? It all seems like a vast sea with no beginning and no end. A single post covering all the three — WAT, GD & PI — will be unwieldy, to say the least, so I will do a series of posts that will help you kick-start your prep for the second-stage.

What is the common thread tying WAT, GD & PI?

On the face of it it might seem like WAT, GD & PI are different beasts altogether and besting each one of them requires different skill-sets. Well at some level they can be equated to the different formats in cricket — Test Cricket, ODIs & T20s (not in any order) — while the format is different and there are specialists in each format, the core skill tested are cricketing skills.

Over the years the core skill tested in each of GD, WAT  and PI is your awareness of Current Affairs.

That GDs and WATs test GK and Current Affairs is something that need not be stated. But even in PIs interviewers want to test how aware you are of the world around you. For example, they might ask you to

• name all the districts in your home state as you travel from North to South
  • the names of CEOs of leading companies in your sector
  • your view on recent political events in your state or sector
  • your view on events of national importance or policy

Your knowledge of people and important trivia about what you call your hobbies (it is trivia because it is just a statistic but it is important because you have mentioned something as your hobby)

So what you need to first understand is that at some level the second stage is closer to preparing for the Civil Services, albeit a very watered down version.

In this post, we will deal with how to go about preparing for the WAT.

What kind of topics crop up in GDs & WATs?

The topics for GDs and WATs broadly fall into four categories:

• Policy-based
  • Issue-based/Topical
  • Lateral-Abstract

Policy-based WAT-GD topics

These are the kind of GD-WAT topics you do not want to encounter in the second-stage since their focus is on important policies or legislation that has been in the news in the year past. For example, what were the big policy-based debates in the last year?

• The CAA, NRC, and NPR
  • Privacy and Big Tech
  • Article 370
  • The Collapse of the Paris Accord
  • India and the RCEP

The topics above revolve around policies/legislation/agreements that have been passed/inked or are in the process of the same.

The challenge as it will be obvious is that they don’t lend themselves to easy opinion-making. A lot of the discussion or the essay has to revolve around the facts and only from there can a position be argued.

Some institutes such as IIFT, tend to favour topics based on economic policy such as the last one in the list above.

Thankfully every year there are only one or two heavy-weight policies such as these. So this year, the key policy-related topics will be the ones listed above.

Issue-based or Topical WAT-GD Topics

Every year there are a few issues/events that capture both public and media imagination, generate a lot of debate and hence become topics worthy to be discussed in a WAT or a GD. The IIMs and other premier b-schools would like to see how prospective students view this issue, what sort of a perspective they have and how well they are able to put forth their arguments.

What have been the big issues over the past year? To name a few

• Citizen versus State
  • The rise of the strongman politician

It is important to note that the topics might not always be presented in a straightforward manner. The topics above would need you to know not just about what is happening nationally but also about what is happening internationally both in terms of issues and in terms of politicians.

While these are specific issue-based topics. There are other topics that are based on wider debates of a more topical nature. For example,

• Can India overtake China in terms of  GDP?
  • Economy versus Ecology
  • Should capital punishment be abolished?
  • Entrepreneurship and India

Lateral-Abstract WAT-GD Topics

And then there are topics that do not test your knowledge of current affairs or policies. For example,

• It is better to trust a woman’s instinct than a man’s reason.
  • If there was one invention/discovery from the past(recent or distant) that you would have liked to have made which one would it be and why?
  • A true traveller is never bothered about the destination and is not intent on arriving.
  • Space.

How and where does one start preparation for WAT-GD-PI?

Well, if there was a pill or an injection or a book that would deliver all the information you would need neatly packaged, I would give that to you.

But from this point on, the point after you have cleared the written test, your success in life will not rely on your ability to reproduce things from books or the ability to solve problems that have nothing to do with the real world. The road to success is not paved with MCQs and past papers, it will be more hard to win.

So I would want you to start your WAT-GD-PI Prep by putting in the effort to gather information/opinion/analyses from various sources.

And if there is one place to really get in-depth information around the Indian economy, industry reports, policies, future roadmaps, it is this

You might have to create an account to download PDFs but do it.

Please understand that you will be facing similar GDs three months into your study at a b-school when faced with Summer Placements.

You need to stop being a student or a techie and start thinking like someone who wants to enter the world of business management and build a great career. And that will not happen if you are not curious enough to read all the McKinsey articles.

For articles on issue-based topics, you need to look no further than these three sites ScrollOpen, Caravan.

If you start reading from these sources straightaway then by the time you get our GD-PI Handbook with previous year’s topics and questions arranged college-wise you will be in a position to tackle them.

So start your WAT-GD-PI preparation by

• Reading the newspaper inside out every day, including the Business, World News & Editorials sections
  • Researching the policy-based topics listed above
  • Reading articles from the sources mentioned

All IMS classroom students will get access to

• 35 “How To” videos that will cover all aspects of how to handle — GDs, WATs, CDs, GEs, GIs and PIs
  • 5 e-Books that cover Current Affairs, Previous Years’ PI Questions, Insitute Specific PI Transcripts, MBA Specializations Information, Form-Filling Guidelines
  • WAT-GD practice, Mock PIs, and
  • 2-day National Achievers Workshop (a boot camp that usually reduces a few students to tears)

You can learn more about the IMS GD-PI Module here.

For starters, I have put together a GD-PI Toolkit with relevant articles, I will be adding more articles as we go along.

The next post will be on how to prepare for your PI.

• Hi Paras,

I think I mentioned in a post that I had a pretty forgettable, terribly rusty, CAT-day; so only a 142.

I need to start teaching again, can’t just show up on test day 🙂

Hope, unlike me, at least you are happy with your performance!

1. Nishant bafna says

Hi sir,
    I love your blogs TBH.
    I have a little off topic question. Can you put some light on the normalisation process used by IIM I, L and others for 10/12? I have done my 10/12 from TN state board. I have got 93.4 and 94.67 respectively. In the IIM L list, I got shocked to see my composite scores. It was as if they just neglected or gave me 1 mark for my 12th. I don’t think my percentage is that bad? I’ve lost hopes of all IIMs. I have EWS reservation and despite lower cutoffs I wasn’t able to make a cut for IIM L due to this idiotic normalisation process.

P.s. I have filed an RTI regarding the same.

I felt atleast IIM I or K would consider me because of their emphasis on 10. 12 but it just seems a distant dream now. Please tell me more about this normalisation thing. 😦

• Hi Nishant,

IIM-L does normalization only for Grad Marks and not for XII Marks. For your XII Marks, you would have got 8 marks out of 10 for 94.67, and since it has 10% weight, it will have become 8*.10=.8 marks, X Marks are not considered.

So, you are right in that you scored about 1 mark, anyway the maximum effective marks that anyone would have scored for XII is 10*.10 = 1 mark.

Given that, work-ex, education diversity and gender diversity account for 20%, it will be tough for a fresher male engineer to crack the call. there have been cases of those with even a 99.94 percentile not getting a call.

As of now leave the math to the colleges and instead of the worrying about the calls you did not get, will not get and will get, just focus on preparing for the second stage so that you convert whatever call you get.

Hope this clarifies,

• Nishant bafna says

No sir,
        I was talking about composite score, where 12th mark has 10 marks out of 100 and I have scored just 1 or 2 marks. I have 12 months of work experience which would have given me 3 out of 10.

And IIM L this time considered 12th percentile instead of percentage and that has hampered my composite score.

So, how does normalisation of IIM I work? Is it same like calculating percentile?

• You are right Nishant, and since TN State Board is very generous with their XII marks, the percentile for 94 percentage might be lower.

Normalisation is not based on percentile but based on means and standard deviations within respective boards and disciplines. So it all depends on how many standard deviations away from the mean your 94% and in which direction.

2. Tejas N says

I have been working in family business. But i haven’t taken salary. Will i be able to produce the salary slips of all 6 months in single payment stating as ARREARS.

But I can definitely produce work ex certificate.

And I also read that only Work Ex Certificate from Company will suffice. Is it true ?

Family Business pays all the tax and has GST registration etc

• Hi Tejas,

As long as the firm is registered and you have a work-ex certificate and salary slips it is fine.

The catch in your case will be that it will be evident that salaries were deposited for the interview stage.

Be that as it may please take it along for verification, if they accept it, great, else you lose whatever marks they award for work-ex.

Hope this clarifies,

• Tejas N says

thank you for the clarification sir. But will i just loose marks or will they cancel my entire admission process ?

• As far as I know, they will not cancel your process. Get salary deposited for atleast 2 months once in Jan and once in Feb.

3. Natasha says

hello sir,
    I have scored 90 percentile and landed up with terrible Di – Lr score of 79 percentile.My grades are 10/12/grad – 98/98.6/78. I will graduate this year. Got placed in core company, which has a bond for 2 years. So, can you please suggest me if I should try cat after two years or go for MBA and complete education in one shot.

PS:- General engineer Female.

• Hi Natasha,

It depends on which specialisation you are looking for post your MBA. If you want to get into Marketing then doing it straightaway might be the best option (though not the only one). If you are looking at Operations or General Management roles then the work-ex is almost a must.

Hope this clarifies,

4. Rushabh Shah says

Hello Sir !
    I read the above post and it gave me a good way to start with my WAT-GD-PI preparation.
    I wanted to know the specifics for WAT-GD-PI preparation for IIFT since it is my best call until now and I really want to convert it. Please suggest how I should go about and what important things to prepare.

• Hi Rushabh,

The only difference in the IIFT process is that they give two minutes to everyone to make their opening remarks in the GD and that the topics are usually titled towards economic policy.

The content you will get from IMS, which I have outlined in the post, will more than cover the gyaan you will need and do ensure that you attend enough mock GDs before the actual process.

Hope this clarifies,

5. Rushabh Shah says

Hello Sir !

6. Rutul Jain says

Can you please throw some light on NMIMS CD PI process? How should I prepare for the same?
    I am enrolled with IMS , so how will IMS help me in this process and what material should I collect from the center ?

7. Pulkit Tyagi says

Hello Sir,

I have 34 months of work-ex, I left my job got 96.86 percentile with all sections above 90, apart from preparing from WAT-GD PI what else can i do in this meantime to improve my profile.

8. Pingback: How to ace write an essay for the WAT | The CAT Writer

9. Nikhil Jindal says

Hello Sir
    Don’t know whether it’s too late to write a comment on this post, but I just hope you see this and reply. Thanks for writing such a brief post on preparation of WAT and PI. So that now almost all the old IIMs have released their calls and I haven’t received any call since my percentile was very low (98.58) for getting a call from these colleges (BLACKI) and I am not very sure of receiving a call from Kozhikode, as they have reduced CAT weightage and increased 12th marks weight for giving calls from this year. My profile is as follows:
    GEM
    Current working as a Data Analyst with 18 months work ex till date.
    Graduated in 2018 as Electrical Engineer from NIT
    Graduation: 7.98
    12th: 87.8 (C.B.S.E.)
    10th: 9.8
    VA-RC: 90.91
    DI-LR 98.22
    QA 98.81
    Scaled Score: 150.4
    Now I am left with only 3 colleges of my list ( which you told us to prepare in LMTC, Delhi) and those are SJMSOM IIT Mumbai, NITIE Mumbai and DMS-IIT Delhi. XAT didn’t go well.
    So, do I have any chances of getting calls from these three. If yes, how should I kick start my PI preparation for these colleges. Is the PI of these colleges just like other B Schools or they focus more on graduation subjects knowledge, especially IITs.