How to fill the S.P.Jain profile-based form

comments 186
B-School Selection / Form-Filling Process

S.P Jain (SPJIMR in full or SP as it is usually referred to) is one of the most underrated business schools in the country. One of the highlights of the S.P.Jain admissions process is that applicants have to choose their specialization at the time of application. While this might be tough for freshers who do not have enough information and self-awareness to choose a specialization, it is a boon for applicants with work experience.

Specialization Matters
The biggest advantage of such a process is during placements. The placement team will ensure that for each specialization there are enough recruiters coming on board during the placements. For example, for a person with 3-4 years of work experience in the operations sector, S.P.Jain will be a much better option than may be even the IIMs since there will be recruiters coming down specifically to hire people with such a profile. At an IIM the placements committee does not have the responsibility to specifically find 60 niche operations jobs.

The college also enjoys having a huge locational-advantage with Mumbai being the financial capital of the country as a well as the city where the most sought after Marketing recruiters such as HUL are headquartered.

Profile-based Calls & Score-Based Calls
S.P.Jain also has two different routes through which it gives out calls after you fill in the application form, the deadline for the same is 24-November.

Profile-based Call: The first is an interview call based purely on your profile — your profile should be in line with the specialization you apply for and what recruiters hiring for that specialization look for. This shortlist is out even without a test score. Once the CAT/XAT/GMAT results are out you need to meet the criteria given in the table below

Qualifying criteria CAT 2017 XAT 2018 GMAT (Tests taken between 1st January
2015 and 31st December 2017)
Overall Qualifying Score 85 percentile 85 percentile 650
Sectional Qualifying Score 70 percentile 70 percentile N.A.

Score-based Call: This shortlist is released after the CAT scores are out and based purely on your CAT scores.

This goes on to show that if you get a profile-based call, you will need a lower percentile to get an interview call than if you get a score-based call.

How To Fill The S.P.Jain Application Form
A great profile needs to rank highly on the following parameters:

•  Academic track record
  • Co-curricular & extra-curricular track record
  • Profile-specialization match

So a lot depends on making a good application that reflects each of these. We will look at a screenshot of how each component of the online application looks and then discuss the best way to go about filling it.

Academic Achievements

SPJIMR Academic Achievements

Academic achievements primarily relate to such achievements as standing in the top performers in your class at various levels, X, XII, Graduation Year or in an exam such as the NTSC or JEE or Math Olympiad.

How does one go about filling this part?

Make a list of all academic achievements. Rank order them not in chronological order but in terms of

• Level of achievement or position you secured
  • Level of competition or perceived toughness – NTSC, Olympiads, AIEEE, JEE
  • Scale of the achievement – school, city, state, district national

In case you do not have 3 academic achievements then list co-curricular achievements such as paper-presentations, journal publications or anything that is related to your academics.

Describe in less than 50 words: Try to be as brief as possible if the achievement is something that can be easily understood. Use the remaining space to describe how this is something that you have been consistently good at. For example, you have only one top 1-5 in terms of academic achievement but you have always been driven to do well academically. Add that part in the description — throughout your education, you have stood in the top 10% (do not write 10%, calculate your position) of your class etc.

Add anything that puts your achievement into perspective — only person from your town/village/school/institution to achieve this, number of participants etc.

Versatility

SPJIMR Versatility

For the versatility section please make a list of all your areas of interest that fall out of the curricular and co-curricular category.

Do not approach it from the perspective of what evaluators might find attractive but rather look at the level of interest/achievement you have in that area. For example, if dancing is your biggest passion/interest then rank it first. Do not rush to rank social-service activities first.

If you have certificates and achievements great, but even if you do not, you can still go ahead and fill up three areas as long as you have a strong interest and have done more than your peers.

For example, if reading is a major passion, you will not have any certificates to show for the same! But use the description space to present how much you like reading — favourite genres, favourite authors, reading since age so and so, read so many books a month etc. Any genre is fine as long as it has some international/intellectual significance. For example, fantasy, science-fiction, historical fiction, all are fine. Just ensure that you do not cite Chetan Bhagat :-).

The same applies to any other area of interest that does not correspond with certificates. Applicants from this part of the world (TN & AP), please do not write watching movies since everyone does it. If you watch world cinema or any specific genre of movies a lot, are knowledgeable and can hold a conversation about the same then you can go ahead and mention movies.

Since this deals with versatility ensure that you choose three different areas. If you have participated in CSR activities at your workplace or volunteered for NGOs please include that as well.

Overall Versatility Rating: Rate yourself based on the diversity of things you have participated in and the level of interest across areas.

SPJIMR Overall Versatility

Responsibility Shouldered

SPJIMR Responsibility Shouldered

The two sections, personal and professional are clearly demarcated.

In the personal section, include any activity where you took or were given the responsibility. They can be

• on-going or long-duration responsibilities such as helping you brother/sister in his/her education or guiding him/her throughout, taking up some household responsibility owing to family situation (working parents),or
  • specific short-duration responsibilities such as arranging the wedding of a sibling or family member etc or having to help out your parent in a specific task etc.

In the professional section include responsibilities that you undertook that were not part of your KRAs or job description. They can be can be

• handling responsibilities higher than your designation due to the absence of manpower
  • special projects/initiatives that you undertook or were given to you
  • organizing events at your workplace

In both cases use the description to put in perspective

• the scale/importance of responsibility,
  • the role you played and
  • the quality of the outcome

Programme Details

Specialisation

This is possibly one of the most important aspects of applying to S.P.Jain — choosing the right specialization.

How does one go about this? The first question is whether you are applying with work experience or applying as a fresher.

Work-experience candidates should apply to the area in with the reason “relevant work-experience”. This has to be the first preference.

If you are applying with IT work-experience, unless you can really connect the nature of your work with an another specialization, choose Information Management (IM). In previous years, applicants whose profiles did not match with the specialization they applied to have been reassigned to a different specialization! DO NOT make your first preference based on “special interest in this area”, make that your second preference.

Freshers can choose specializations based on “graduated in a related area”. Non-engineering freshers such as Commerce, Economics or BBA graduates can apply to Finance. You can choose a second area as Marketing or Operations based on “done specialized courses in this area” or “special interest in this area”.

Engineering freshers can apply to any specialization based on “done specialized courses in this area” or “special interest in this area”.

Please note that for Finance you will be competing with people who have “graduated in related area” such as the backgrounds mentioned above and CA. So do not mention it as your first preference unless you are really serious about it and are sure that despite your profile not being relevant you will get a shortlist through a stellar CAT score.

A safer option is to apply to Marketing (since recruiters in this sector look for freshers) based on  “special interest in this area” and Operations/Finance as a second preference under “done specialized courses in this area” or “special interest in this area”, whichever is relevant.

If you are mentioning Special Area Of Interest, you have to provide an explanation in 50 words.

Use this space to mention

• why you like this specialization and how your skills or traits are aligned to the same and
  • the things you have done informally that demonstrate your special interest in this area.

You might have done a lot of things for which you have no certificates to show —

• say organising events in your college and firm or working unpaid for an event management for Marketing
  • following stock-markets or investing on your own keenly for finance
  • in both fields, you can mention the books that you have read to improve your knowledge of the same

The last part of the form is the work-experience details, the filling up of which should be pretty straightforward.

This has already been a super-long post. Hope I have covered most of the stuff needed to fill the form.

Feel free to post any queries you might have in the comments section.

Advertisements

1. suryansh abhishek says

I completed 10th from CBSE board in 2008 with 93.60% , 12th from CBSE in 2010 with 86.00% (PCM, english and CS). Then i have an academic year break. then from 2011-15, i pursued Bachelor of Pharmacy from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, with 82.70% marks.
    Currently i am working in Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) as Programmer Analyst, wth total work – ex of 30 months , as of 31-Dec-2017.
    Is it worth to apply in SP Jain with such a profile, or shall i look for some other college as per marks scored in CAT or XAT?
    If yes, what should be the preference?

Regards
    Suryansh

• Hi Suryansh,

You should apply to SP for their IM specialisation since you have relevant work ex.

Even if you don’t get a profile based call you can still get a score based call later.

2. Rahul Banerjee says

Hello Sir,
    Please find below my Academic Details:
    10th : 91.6 %
    12th: 82.4 %
    Engineering: 8.28 CGPA = 75.3 %
    I have Work ex of 22 months in TCS but I am not currently working.
    I understand my first preference has to be IT, but regarding my second preference, I wanted to ask you that my job included a bit of working on the Inventory Modules of Oracle. Is it feasible to give Operations as my second preference, considering that i do not have practical experience of Operations? Or should I give Marketing?

3. Hello sir ,

Please review my profile and advise should i sp jain fill form to get profile based call
    Academics
    10th -86%
    12th – 84.33%
    B.Tech – 79.70%

Versatility
    1 . State level chess player and university gold medal in chess .
    2 . Best player in chess tournament in national level college sport festival.
    3. Event Organiser of Technical event in college.
    4. Secretary of college chess team (Member of gymkhana committee)
    5. Internship of 6 months in Thermax Ltd in manufacturing department.
    6.Internahip of 6 months in Forbes Marshall Ltd in Quality Assurance department.

Work ex
    Working as sales and marketing manager with Trident Group from over 17 months .

I want to choose marketing as specialization .
    should i put college academic internship while filling form as it was in different departments.
    If yes , under which section academics achievement or versatility?
    please help

• Hi,

You have a good profile for Marketing.

Write about the academic internship in 50 word space given under academic achievement.

4. Hi Tony

I have done my Industrial Training from prestigious ITC Ltd. as a part of my CA curriculum. I was the only trainee in my division and department who has entrusted with most critical areas of Finance and budgeting. Got lot of appreciation and accolades from GM.

where do i mention the same, in Academic Achievements or versatility.?

5. alisha says

I don’t have any academic achievements.I had just given AIEEE and JEE . Also I have participated in olympiads ,but that were during the primary or secondary school days.Should I keep the space empty?

• Hi,
      If your ranks are decent then put Top X percentile in IIT and AIEEE.
      Use the space given to write about your overall academic performance through school and college and participation in olympiads and stuff.

6. Siddarth Iyer says

I am an electrical engineer from Mumbai University. I am working with L&T (Electrical & Automation division). My department is research and development of switchgear products. As of date, I have a work ex of 40 months. Based on my work ex, can you please suggest me my probable 1st preference of specialization.
    Thank You.

7. Sukhada Deshpande says

Hello Sir,
    Thank you for the informative post.
    Sir Here are my details:
    Class X: 96%
    Class 12- 83.03%
    B.E.(EnTC) : 73%
    I am currently in the final year of my graduation and would like to apply to SPJIMR.
    I don’t have any co-curricular certificates, at least not any major ones, I have a few from school olympiads and interschool competitions but they were mostly school rank 1.
    I am an active participant for an NGO but don’t possess any certificates.
    I was the head of the Web development team for the Student Branch created by IEEE in our college.
    I am an avid reader and read minimum 2 hrs a day after completing all my prior engagements.
    I wish to apply for Finance as my area of specialization. Despite my Engineering background I would like to switch over to finance because my final year project deals with banking and after interacting with a few individuals from the domain, it has fascinated me and I would like to pursue it.
    I have the following questions. Please help me through.
    Q1: What are my chances of a profile based call?
    Q2: Should I choose finance as my area of specialization or not (being a fresher)?
    Q3: What should be my order of specialization?

Thank you!

• Hi,
      Profile based calls usually go out to people with great acads or professional certifications such as CA and CFA if they apply to the right specialisation.

You can apply to Finance or Marketing since these are the only two areas that don’t need work ex.

You can go 1 and 2 with them but don’t pin your hopes on a profile-based call. Gets score about 96 percentile and you will get a score-based call.

8. Hello sir,

My profile as below:
    Xth 78%
    XII 84.15%
    BTech 75.9%

I have taken actively participation in my collage club & also promoted till president position. Also has marketing head experience during the academic for various tests. Adding to this I got award for the business development from world’s largest youth running organisation.

I have represented India at international conference in Australia for research work. As well as 1 journal paper published. Also, secured 2nd runner position in poster presentation.

By December 2017, I will have work experience of 3 months as sales marketing executive. Also, I am a platinum certified in the firm which is noteworthy.

From this profile can we expect call on profile base ?

• Hi Neil,
      Given your experience of 3 years in sales and marketing you have a chance to get a call.

But the things working against you are poor acads. Since profile-based calls are given at lower CAT Scores, they expect you to compensate for the same with good acads.

So chances are there but slim.

9. harsha says

Dear sir,

I am a bit confused in choosing specialization, can you check my credentials and let me know if i have a chance of getting a profile based call.
    X- 94%
    XII-95.4
    B.TECH-75.46
    Work ex of 17 months as of 31-DEC-17 as a software developer in a IT company.
    academic achievements:
    received gold medal from school for standing top in the town in X standard.
    top 5% in 12th standard.
    versatility:
    played district level badminton and also represented university team, helped in fund rising for a NGO.
    Headed marketing team of both college tech fest and entrepreneur development cell.
    Did marketing for my friend’s company . It is a paper industry. Did product pitching for dealers.
    I would like to choose marketing as first preference and IM as second.
    Do i have a good chance for profile based call, if i select marketing as first preference? or is it good to go for IM related to my present work experience.

• Hi,
      It’s a bit tricky given your work ex to apply for marketing. Since the IM specialisation will give you Business Development roles in IT.

If you are really passionate about Marketing and want to move away from IT, apply to Marketing first and IM next.

If you plan to play it safe apply to IM.

• harsha says

Thank you sir, can you tell me do i have a good chance for profile based call if i opt IM

10. harsh1994 says

Hello Sir,
    I have got 88% in my Xth and have got 80% in my XIIth standard.
    I have got 8.5/10 as my CGPA (Mumbai university) with an overall decent profile
    Currently I am working in KPMG India in IT Advisory- Risk Consulting Practice, having an experience of 19 months (As of 31st December 2017)
    How does the profile look for IM as specialization?
    If not, then what should i go for?

• harsh1994 says

Also Sir,
      Here is my profile:
      District Level Dance Champion
      Among Top 1% in MHT-CET 2012
      Chairperson of IETE (National Level Committee)
      Marketing Head of the college cultural festival
      Life time member of the NGO ‘Help age India’ and part of ABHYUDAYA-SPJIMR initiative
      Active blogger

• Hi Harsh,
      You have a good profile for IM. So you stand a decent chance to get a call provided your marks are competitive with others applying to IM.

As a second preference you can give Finance since Rishi analysis can be pitched indirectly for Fin.

Liked by 1 person

11. Satyajit says

Thank you for such a detailed blog.
    Please find below my Academic details:
    10th: 91.2 %
    12th: 76.4 %
    Graduation (in my final year): BCOM ( Marketing and HR )
    Since I don’t have any work experience and also my co-curricular activities are not that distinct with very few certificates to show, though I have taken part in an NGO and played football at University level. I have also done a few courses like Tally and will do the Google Adverts course during the span between CAT and the GDs. I expect that I will be able to get a realistic percentile of about 90 given my SimCAT scores. Do I stand a change for SPJIMR? Also, I am really finding it hard to select the colleges to apply for. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Hi Satyajit,

Assuming you want to get into Marketing, apply to the best colleges in Mumbai and Delhi.

To get into a good Marketing job you need not get into a top draw college.

So since you are a fresher, use the IMS Brochure to apply to colleges in Mumbai and Delhi, where most of the marketing firms are located, that offer s salary of 8L and above.

SP Jain will be tough at 90. But as I said there are many other schools.

12. Lokesh says

Hi sir,
    This is Lokesh
    Need a help in filling SPJain form

X-74%
    XII-75.6%
    Grad(B.tech in CSE from SRM University Chennai)-88.06%
    Work ex -21 months(Wipro Technologies) in Database Management

Have left the job in April for full time concentration on preparation

No such academics certificates

1 certificate in Basketball Championship at school level

Organized some technical events in College but no certificates

Hobbies: Cooking,Basketball,Cricket

Please guide me through the options which I should fill. Waiting for your reply

Thanks in advance

13. Nandini says

Hello sir,

Please find below my academic details:
    10th – 91.33
    12th- 95
    Graduation – iam in my final year of b.com ,as of now my average of 2 years is 84%, I completed my CA- CPT but didn’t complete my CA course and iam interested in finance and HR as my second specialization . Can u Tell me whether can I apply for SP Jain?

14. Neha Jain says

Hello Sir ,
    Please review my profile to get profile based call from SPJain.
    Academics:
    10th -89% (State Board Gujarat)
    12th – 82.63% (State Board Gujarat)
    B.Tech – 77.77% (Computer Engineering)

Versatility:
    1. Zone level Drama Team member for 2 years representing South Gujarat Team at Youth Festival.
    2. Review Paper published in relevant field.
    3. Department head of the computer department’s annual Technical Festival at college.
    4. Stood in Top 3 of class till 10 std and in Top 10 in 11th and 12th
    5. Internship of 15 days in ColorTex Industry Surat learning about data management.
    6. International Rank 7024 in Maths Olympiad in 11th Grade.

Work Experience:
    Working as a Software developer at 3Di Systems and Solutions for 18 months now.

Responsibilities Taken:
    Just after the project started senior developer and the Team lead left the company so the entire project to 2 junior developers. One being me.

SIMCAT scores:
    I have been getting 85-90 percentile in SIMCATS.

Sir, what are my chances of getting a profile based call?

• Hi Neha,
      If apply to IM you stand a chance to get a profile-based call, which btw has a requirement of 85 percentile.

If you do not get a profile-based call you will get a score-based call if you score above 96 percentile.

15. Hi Tony,
    I’ll keep it short. Scored 84.3% in ICSE (10th), 12th was from state board (BIE) where I scored 86%. Did my engineering in electronics & communication & scored 62.2% with a college affiliated to Omsania University. As of now I’m working at Amazon as a transaction risk investigator & this is all operations. As of 31’st Dec 2017 I’ll have 6 months of work experience. My forte has always been on consumer electronics for which I also have a YouTube channel with decent ratings. Engineering was just a thing which had to be done at that point of time like it is for everybody else – a necessity. I’ve indulged in quite a few extra curricular activities as well & i am more inclined towards creative side of things. Based on this, Go or no go? What do you say ?
    Thanks in advance.

16. Kuldeep Singh Maurya says

10th 91.2%
    12th 87.8

Currently in B.tech final year from CSE and till 3rd year i have 7.94 cgpa.(NIT Goa)

School topper for Computer Science in 12th

I have been head of marketing for cultural festival of college plus done a virtual marketing internship for a ngo.
    Internship at Software company for 2 months.

I am a member of college’s drama team and it came 2nd in inter nit competition.
    I want to give my preference as marketing.
    Can you advice something, if my profile si good enuf!

• Kuldeep Singh Maurya says

Thanks for your wishes sir, but can you tell me how much are my chances of getting profile based interview call?

17. Jacob says

Hi
    For personal Responsibility- Is it ok if i mention this-

I took the initiative to help the children from a nearby government school to prepare for NTSE exam since they didnt have opportunities or financial background to get the mentoring . I took 20 session on solving strategies of MCQ’s .

18. Divya Tallur says

Hi Tony,
    Please have a look at my profile,
    Academic Back ground
    10th -94
    12th – 97.3
    B.Tech – 86.3 (Electronics)

Achievements:
    1. State 3rd in 11th standard
    2. Always among top 3 in complete academic career
    3. Have some district level ranks in talent tests
    4. Calligraphy awards during schooling

Work Experience:
    2 years of work experience with Infosys.
    Here I have an issue. I have been with Education department of Infosys and worked as an educator for first 18 months. My work includes Content development for various IT courses which will be changing for every 6 months, training fresh graduates and taking up their responsibility for the entire course. Recently i have moved to production department of Infosys as a regular software engineer. So while filling the form is it better to opt for software services(which looks relevant for a person involved with software industry) or is it better to opt for educational services (which may lead to confusion when juxtaposed with Infosys)..??????

Responsibilities undertaken:
    1. Placement committee member during my graduation
    2. Batch owner responsibilities for 6 months for multiple batches during training in Infosys

Please let me know if its plausible to apply for Spjain and if yes what can be suitable specialization.? And also please suggest me the type of industry to be selected( Education or IT Services).
    TIA.

• Hi,

You have to fill in the sector your firm falls into and not the specific domain you are working on, so software services it is.

You should apply to SP Jain IM, you have a good chance.

19. hanshika02 says

Hi,

Regarding work experience, I have Software Development experience for 25months as of 31st dec 2017, but out of these 25 months, I have worked on a permanent job for 16months and for the rest of months, I had done freelancing (contract based work with different companies). What do you suggest how should I mention this?

PS: I was suggested by people to present it as my entrepreneurial journey, as I had handled client acquisitions during this journey and also from product designing to its full completion of the projects.

Please guide me. If I present it as freelancing work, will the importance of my complete work be understood?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanshika

• Hi,

You should fill in self-employed and explain the projects you took up and reasons for freelancing when the questions come up in the interview.

To say entrepreneur you should have registered a firm and had a specific product or service, Indian panels are known to grill candidates to get the truth out.

Liked by 1 person

20. Himanshu Jobanputra says

Hello Sir,
    Please review my profile
    Std X : 92%
    Std XII : 91%
    BE Mechanical from Mumbai University : 8.68 CGPA 76.23%
    I’m currently handling the portfolio of Key Account Management in the ‘Material Handling Equipment’ division of Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd. with a workex of 16 months as on 31st Dec 2017.
    I believe that my work is related to marketing but I really want to get into Finance.
    So is it okay if I keep my Preference 1 as Finance based on ‘Special Interest in this Area’ & Preference 2 as Marketing based on ‘Relevant Work Experience’ ?
    Please suggest…

21. Ipsita Mishra says

Hello,
    Thank you so much for the detailed blog.
    Could you tell me if I am likely to get a profile based call form SP Jain. My details are as follows:
    X-93.3%
    XII-90.8%
    Graduation- 83.6% from IIIT Bhubaneswar.
    Fresher
    I have been awarded several Certificates of Achievement for my academics during my school years.
    Been in the Top Ten in my class consistently.
    Obtained training in Core Java and Android from HPES.
    Interned for 3 months at DELL, Bangalore.
    Have learnt Kathak for 8 years although i have not participtated in any competitions.
    Have also learnt Classical Vocals for 6 years.
    Am an avid reader and had started reading from the age of 5.
    Participated in Mental Ability Quizzes( one was on district level and the other on the international level).
    Have a high level of interest in watching movies and also enjoy getting to know about the process of film-making. Was also a part of the Film and Theatre Society in my college.
    I have applied for Marketing as my first preference and i am confused about my choice for the second preference. Should it be finance or IM?
    Thanks a lot!

• Hi Ipsita,

Your profile looks pretty strong, so o would say you are in with a good chance.

Your second preference should be Fin since IM would need work ex.

22. Kuldeep Singh Maurya says

10th 91.2%
    12th 87.8
    School topper for Computer Science in 12th
    Internship at Software company for 2 months.
    I am a member of college’s drama team and it came 2nd in inter nit competition.
    I want to give my preference as marketing.
    What are my chances of getting a profile based call for the same?
    Thanks in advance

23. Anmik Das says

Hello Sir,
    My academics :
    10th-10cgpa~95%
    12th-94.2%
    Graduation-BCom(Accountancy hons)-80.11%(Highest in my college)
    Activities other than academics :
    _During my graduation I managed to take remedial classes for elementary students at an NGO.
    _I also did an online marketing internship with Ambipur under P&G.
    _Received an award for poster-making held at NIFT.
    _After completing my graduation in 2016 I joined a startup as an intern for 2 months and then worked there itself as a content analyst and user experience advisor.The startup provided an e-commerce platform for handloom and handicraft products by skillful artisans.
    But in Feb 2017 I had to leave it for security reasons as well as its restructuring.So basically I possess a work-experience of just 9 months.

Please guide me ahead. Should I even apply to spjain with such profile? If i do, I’m interested in Finance as my specialization. So what should be my order of preference ? Would this gap create any problem ?

• Hi Anmik,

You can apply to Finance, don’t really bother about the gap.

Your acads are decent and your background is also relevant to Finance.

Apply to Marketing as second preference based on relevant work ex since you were into user experience design.

Understand that even if you do not get s profile based call, you can still score well in CAT and get a score-based call.

24. Anjali anand says

Sir I have filled my application form for Spjain. Can i just mail it u so that u may review it once and suggest necessary corrections??

25. Anjali anand says

If yes, on which email id shall i mail it to u??

26. Rajesh G says

Hi,

Currently I am working in a company which provides consulting to chemical based SMEs with the help of customized IT product. So basically we make a product which helps chemical companies to streamline its process.
    My question is what should I fill in type of industry? IT product or Chemicals or consulting?
    Also as my function involves a lot of things – from operations to strategy to business development and analytics, what should I fill in functions?

Also is it advisable to select operations as the preferred stream?

• Hi,

The industry should be the industry that your firm belongs to and not your client.

So if your firm is into Consulting them mention the same. If your firm is a IT services firm then then choose that.

Choose the specialisation based on what your preference is since from what you have written it seems to straddle Operations and Marketing.

You can choose both based on relevant work ex.

Giving more preference to you KRAs related to your first preference in the description of work ex.

27. Rajesh G says

In academic achievements I have been a school topper, won 2 national level olympiads, cleared JEE (albeit with a lower rank), done numerous internships.

Can I club say olympiads together, and all the internships together?

28. Deepali Gupta says

Suppose a person had a very strong profile and he/she had selected as ‘No’ as preference for appearing 1st phase of January interviews at Mumbai. So can the application be rejected ?

• Hi Deepali,
      Application is not rejected in that case,you will get an interview allotted in the next round, provided you have been short listed.

29. Hello sir.

I have secured a profile based call from SPJIMR. I scored 90.08, 90.8 and 86.87 in 10th, 12th and Graduation (BBA) I do not have any work ex however I have cofounded a social integration app and another startup in the home rental space, both of which couldn’t succeed. In college I have been the head of a cultural fest, of the management fest team and of sponsorship team and won numerous fests in the domain of entrepreneurship, PR and best manager. I have been recognised as a Competent Communicator and Competent Leader by Toastmasters International and have been a mentor and trainer for my juniors at Toastmasters. Even though I have a professional degree in finance – Investment Operations Certificate from CISI, London, I have opted for marketing as a specialisation at SPJIMR. The main reason for the choice was my aspiration to be an entrepreneur.
    However, I have one reservation about my chances at SPJIMR- My percentile. I got only 93.74 overall and 97.97, 89.94 and 88.34 percentiles in VA, DILR and QA respectively.
    In your experience have you seen studentd make it to SPJIMR with such low percentiles? More importantly do you think I can convert it with a strong performance in the GIs?
    Also, please give me tips on how I should approach the GI so that my CAT percentile doesn’t become the reason I don’t get in.
    Thanks in advance.

• Hi Nikhil,

Your percentile is pretty competitive for you to crack SPJIMR.

If you can make a strong case about your entrepreneurship plans where the panel feels that’s you have spent enough manhours thinking about a business venture you can crack it despite the marketing spec. There are no right or wrong answers, only convincing and unconvincing ones.

It will be tough to give an entire lowdown on GIs here.

Just ensure that you do enough GIs along with your fellow call-getters at your Centre.

30. Vishal Singh says

Hello sir,

Please find below my academic details:
    10th – 47%
    12th- 66%
    B.tech – 6.6 CGPA

– 3yrs of work experience in sales and marketing.
    – I want to go in marketing .
    – If I score 99% in CAT, Can I get a score based call ?
    Need your help.

Please reply sir!

• Hi Vishal,

Your low acads preclude your getting a profile-based call, but I still think there is an outside chance because of your very relevant work-ex.

With a 99-plus you should be able to get a score-based call.

• Hi Vishal,

The Xth marks, just to confirm if it’s 47% then you will end up getting no marks for X, XII, Grad. Score-based call does not mean that there is no weightage for profile.

I think chances are low, but the only thing you can do is score the best you can on the CAT.

31. Sir please tell me what are my chances of getting profile based call from sp jain considering
    10th-9.8 (state board)
    12th-96.6%(state board)
    B.tech-89% from a local college
    Worked as an event manager in a school (conducting daily activities,fests,exhibitions etc)for 4 years during graduation,member of an NGO (local one)
    I am a fresher…what are my chances of getting a call and what percentile do i need to be on safe side for converting the call.

• Your chances of getting a profile-based are pretty high, given your good Acads and extra-curriculars.

Incase you do not get a profile-based call for a score-based called the percentile is around 96.5.

In case